Catching Up

Life sometimes takes a sudden turn to the left or the right, and catches us completely unaware. 

The last few days have been that way.  And every time I'd think to post here, something would pull me in another direction.

When the phone rings in the middle of the night, it's never good news.  As The Husband said, when the phone rings like that, it's never someone calling you to say you've won a house in Ouray.

This 3:30am phone call came from his younger brother, and I was certain it was bad news about my father-in-law.  Instead, it was word that my mother-in-law was being taken to the hospital.  Within 30 hours, she was gone.  Sudden, unexpected, massive stroke.  Joyce had been the one, taking care of an ailing husband, and seeming strong and healthy. 

Still trying to accept, as it all seem a little unreal.  Just a while back, in September, Joyce sent me a box in the mail for my birthday (she never missed any one's birthday).  It was full of kitchen linens she had embroidered,  some cross stitched pillow cases...........and then just an assortment of little things, each carefully chosen.  As I look around my house I see little reminders of the kind things she's sent me, or The Husband.................she paid close attention when she was here, and then found things she thought we'd like.

Today was the funeral, and with that completed, the routines of life return, and we're left with just memories. 

I have experienced the death of many around me, family and friends.  It never gets any easier.  The suddenness will make it take a long time to get used to the idea.

Sleep peacefully Joyce.  You have certainly earned your rest.

Comments

Popular Posts