More Christmas Music

I'm a nut for Christmas music.

I'm a nut for Christmas.

Why?  My parents are responsible.

My parents achieved the perfect balance between the wonder of Santa Claus,  reindeers on the rooftop,  stockings full of treats......................and the birth of Jesus.  We read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" but the focus was Luke, chapter 2.  "And it came to pass in those days.......there went out a decree, from Caeser Augustus"......

We went to communion service at church on Christmas Eve, and then nestled in our beds, waiting for Santa to come.  On Christmas morning, Dad would get out the video camera and lil' bro and I would comb our hair,  wash our face and come down the stairs.  We squinted at the camera lights and walked to the Christmas Tree for the proverbial pose..............and the gift opening would begin.

Somehow, we never lost sight of the meaning of the Season.  We knew "the reason for the season".  There was a balance.

I'm never conflicted about Christmas.  My memories of Christmas' past are all pleasant.  Even the many years as a single person, when I insisted on going home alone, rather than spending the night at my parent's house..............I knew that the Real meaning of Christmas would see me through those nights alone.............because there are many layers to the meaning of Christmas.

Therefore, the "commercialization of Christmas" doesn't faze me...........I love it all. 

Lights, Santa, Rudolph, Trees, Candy Canes, Cookies, Reindeer,...........all good.  Christmas dinner at Grandma's......crammed together around her dining room table.  Even better.  The Hallelujah chorus, sung by the choir, carols sung by the whole congregation.............those moments I spent all alone, thanking God for my many blessings..............all of this is Christmas to me.

I love the traditional carols.  But there are some newer Christmas songs that move me.

This is one...............

I really love Harry Connick.  And I've listened to this one many times............ 

Endure the commerical...........and listen.

Comments

Popular Posts