TV, Movies and Pop Culture

I don't watch a lot of television programs. But I do probably watch too much TV.

How can this be? I only watch a handful of TV programs............but when I'm the one with the remote in my hand..........I watch movies.

This is a genetic trait. I grew up with movie obsessed parents. As much as I watch movies, I'm sure I could never watch as many movies as they have seen. But I have this weird habit of watching the same movies over and over again. For a variety of reasons.

Some I watch for a specific moment, some for the cinematography, some for the soundtrack, some for the dialogue, some for an actress or actor that I particularly like.

If there's a movie that I've never seen, and I want to see it, I won't watch it unless I can see it from the beginning. But if it's a movie I love I'll just jump in anywhere and fall back into rhythm of the movie.

So here follows the first of many posts about movies I always watch if they're on the guide, because I can't help myself. Hard to know where to start, so I'll begin with specific actors.

Let's talk Val Kilmer.

Tonight "The Doors" was on Palladia channel. (It's a HD music channel). Their music became popular when I was too young to understand, but over the years I have grown to love their music. The movie is a clear example of the way Val Kilmer DISAPPEARS into a role. Sure he had a head start because he resembles Jim Morrison.......but once you're a few minutes into this movie you forget that he ISN'T Jim Morrison. Oliver Stone (I know, I know........) did amazing things with this movie and the cast is full of people in small roles adding layers to the movie that amaze me. The story of Jim Morrison and The Doors rise to fame is completely on the mark to anyone who's spent any time in the music industry. The drugs, decedance, and excesses of the Sixties is well potrayed. This ain't a movie for the kiddies. The entire thing seems like an extended MTV music video. But better. The Ed Sullivan show appearance in the movie just kills me everytime I see it. If you've seen it, you know what I mean.

I love it. I own it on DVD........I find it compelling, tranfixxing........and in the end disturbing..............

What would have happened had Jim not died? How did Val go this far into the role?










What a movie!!!



Comments

Popular Posts