The "Tail" of Bessy

Well..... a while back I made the big announcement that we have acquired a mascot here at Casa Rancho.

On the night before Halloween, The Husband showed up at Casa Rancho with a furry friend named Bessy.

Someone else had found her, but couldn't keep her, because they already had 4 dogs.  She was a stray.........and according to the local animal control, people had been reporting her for at least three weeks.  People kept seeing her, trying to catch her................all to no avail.  Maybe she was picky???  But someone finally succeeded and got her into a vehicle.  The Husband called me on hearing the story..............and said "hey Honey, I'm bringing someone home with me................."

Thus, Miss Bessie became the Mascot of Casa Rancho.



And she's the hit of the neighborhood.

But let's back up.

I'm not REALLY a dog person.  Never had pets growing up. (Due to family allergies).  Well, I did have an aquarium that amused me to no end.  It was in my bedroom and the sound of the pump lulled me to sleep each night.  Unfortunately one morning I woke up to fish floating on the top and little wormy things all over the inside of the glass.   Childhood trauma.

After I moved away from home, Mr. Budzo came into my life.  A tiny little terrier mix who saw me through some rough days, but eventually had to go live with people with a yard.............during the many years of my apartment dwelling exile.

Since the day I married The Husband he has whined and moaned about needing a dog.  Pet stores and shelters were on the regular rotation.  Evil Chick Voice kept him from man's best friend.  We had a failed attempt.............a shelter black lab who could easily get out of our yard.

But  when The Husband called and told me he was bringing home a stray.................I had little hope and was anxious beyond belief.

She showed up that night...............anxious, skinny, skittish, and adorable.

Five months later and she's like an old friend.  She had lost at least half of her fur, she was skinny and you could see all her bones. We got her healthy.  Good food, good grooming, but most of all peace and quiet.  In some ways, she's not very Dog-Like.  She doesn't chew on things, she doesn't jump on people.  She doesn't beg for food (although she does drool a little when she likes the smell).  And amazingly, she very seldom barks.  She knows simple commands and can sit outside with us............not on a leash..........and stay close by.

In short, she is the dream dog.  Just about every one one of our neighbors has been observed laying on the floor next to her................petting her.  She's great with kids.  I take her to work at least once a week because if I don't ..........everyone asks where Bessy is.

The Husband said she's clearly MY dog.  She does follow me and look for me if I leave the room.  Maybe it's because I spoil her.  More than one person has spoke of her being "sent from God", "the perfect dog for us", "the sweetest dog I've ever met" and many other glowing terms.

Bessy is a good girl.  Yes, she turned me into a dog person.

And she loves that blanket ScooterGirl made us.


Comments

Popular Posts