Glued to Olympic Coverage

We are glued to the Olympic coverage here at Casa Rancho.

These athletes are a different species.  Speed and Cold and Danger and Ice.

Why am I such a sap when it comes to the Olympics?  Did you do that to me Mom & Dad?  The medal ceremonies get me each and every time.  BIG lump in the throat!

Highlights so far?

LOVED the opening ceremonies.  For any country to have to follow the spectacle of the Beijing opening.......where do you go from there?  So they went small and intimate.  The way the Canadians showed respect to the Native Americans took my breathe away.  They kept using the phrase "First Nations" which I had not heard before............but it struck a chord with me............I'll keep that one.

Let's talk about Vancouver.

Spent a few days there on a choir tour with 2 busloads of high schoolers.  In spite of keeping my eye on them most of the time.............I did notice that Vancouver is a breath taking city.  Mountains and ocean.............clean...........green............and extremely polite.  I've always wanted to go back.

Back to the athletes...............

Downhill skiers are nuts.  Let's face reality folks..................the sport is a controlled fall off a cliff.  Bonus points if you stay above the narrow planks of wood (fiberglass?) you're riding on.  I hold my breath while watching........which I believe helps the athlete you are rooting for................hence Bodi got a medal, and Lindsey Vonn endured, in spite of injury and the fact that she's that beautiful AND that athletic.................



Really Lindsey, it's annoying........all us girls hate you.

Speed Skating.  Got hooked on this sport at the last Winter Olympics.  And yes, its all about Apollo.  Our lean, mean, dancing machine.  But in addition............it's soooo cool to watch, especially the relay races, when they push each other forward.  Medals are us...............go Apollo.


Snowboarding.

Snowboarding Cross is great fun to watch.  It's the combination of so many other sports.  I'm the most uncool person I know..................However..................Might have to get some Olympic Team plaid.



Our Flying Tomato Shaun White dominates this................why would anyone else try?



Figure Skating.

Will have to contemplate the honest, yet politically correct way to discuss figure skating.  I love some parts............others...............not so much.  Better sleep on that.

On a final note (for tonight).

Are these some giant medals those Canadians are giving out?

More to follow.

Comments

Popular Posts