Difficult Days at Altitude

BAD day At Altitude today.

We have known that a murder trial would start today.  And in the relatively small town of Denver,  this is big news.  A Denver Bronco (Darrent Williams) gunned down several years ago, and the trial finally started today.

As much as I would like to act as if this is a distant occurrence that has no relevance in my life.............it strikes too close to home.

I have walked those halls and sat in those pews.

Click for Story

The plan was for the local news stations to live stream the audio of the trial.  And yes, I planned to listen as much as I could.  At the last moment, the Judge decided against allowing media to live stream.  So we were waiting to hear news reports as they came.  I heard some taped segments of the trial as I drove home tonight.  Strangely enough, I know the defense attorney........a high school classmate of mine.

While focused on this trial, a phone call from The Husband alerted me to the fact that there was yet another school shooting, this time only 3 miles from Columbine.

No doubt news all over the country. 

No fatalities. Big SIGH.

But wounds were opened all around.

As much as I would have liked to look beyond all these news reports...................I sat in my rocking chair tonight, watching all the news, and felt the tears running down my cheeks.

I apologized for my tears to The Husband....................but couldn't help but think of the days that murder trials were a part of my day to day life.

And I wish I could erase the mental images of the Columbine funerals I attended.

Just yesterday, an employee of mine, closed the door to my office and spent a few minutes crying.

He has experienced a chain of tragic circumstances and came to tell me about the latest.

I realized in that moment, that all the tragedies I have lived through........... have given me the understanding and compassion to hold the hand of people in that moment.

There are times I wish that all the pain was washed away from my memories..............and then I realize my pain is a gift to those who need someone to hold their hand and understand.

Comments

Kris said…
((((((big hug)))))

Popular Posts