RIP John Hughes



I remember sitting in a movie theater with friends (mostly younger than me) watching "The Breakfast Club" and wondering how John Hughes understood high schoolers so well. His characters in that movie were about 5 years younger than me... but the cliques and stereotypes still rang true, and I would guess probably still do.

I think the most trouble I ever got in as a youth pastor was for showing "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" to my youth group at summer camp.

A few weeks after we got back, I had a meeting with 2 very angry parents. Their kids had encouraged them to rent the movie and they watched it as a family. They insisted I was teaching their kids that it was cool to lie, ditch school, and disrespect authority. Wish I'd had the nerve to tell them to "lighten up".

Though I loved movies based on the angst of the teenage years, my personal favorite was "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles". Steve Martin was amazing in that film.

Now that I come to think of it, "Uncle Buck" (John Candy) walking down the hall in the school to the tune, "Wild Thing" by Tone Loc is a classic too.

Oh, and then there's this.............



A real loss to the film community and 59 is way too young.

Comments

Popular Posts