Gut Reactions

Woke at 5:30am, with a start, realized it was already 7:30 in the east. I wondered how long President Elect Obama had been awake.

Moments later, with a more fully awake brain, I realized I had butterflies in my stomach.

Big day today. For some it passed by without notice. But for me, and for millions around the world, this is a day we will remember as long as we live.

For me, every inauguration is a big day. Gotta love the limos, the military bands, the high school bands, the poets, the celebrities, the waving flags, the speeches, the prayers, the military guards, the commentators, the pundits, the party loyalists, Hail to the Chief, America the Beautiful, and the National Anthem.

How other people around the world, in nations everywhere, view these inaugurations....... is always in the back of my mind. What do they think as they look on? Why do they care? Today was a day that MAY change how other nations think of our country.

Maybe that is a pipe dream.

I made my way to work today, listening to Fox News on the satellite radio.

The TV was already on at the office. I told my staff it was okay to watch. Many were watching an inauguration for the first time. Being a technical company, we couldn't help notice any and all technical glitches.

I was embarrassed. Not used to watching these events with a group of other people. Made a dive for a Kleenex box. Managed to maintain my composure for the most part. But these "moments in time" weaken my knees.

If you were new to this blog.................in reading all of this post, you might think I was an Obama supporter.

I was not. As in............... I voted for Senator John McCain.

But today, I am a citizen of the United States of America. Barack Obama is my President. He is the first man, who is not a "white man", to put his hand on the Bible and take the oath. We are all changed. You may not agree. But in my opinion, we are all changed because of this day.

As I piece through this day I may have more to say. I know I want to talk about the graciousness of President Bush.

Tomorrow morning when I wake up..................no doubt I will be thinking of two men.

I will think of my new President, Barack Obama, and that infamous security briefing he will receive. I will say a prayer for him.

Then I will think of................ W................. my former President. He will be bringing Laura a cup of coffee, about the same time I grab mine in my kitchen. He will be looking at the brush that needs clearing, feed the dogs, and start a new life. Part of the exclusive club of "Mr. Presidents"................the four of them still alive.

I wish them both my best. And pray for the grace of God to cover them both.

Comments

Popular Posts