Love in the Time of Cholera


I'm always way behind on the bestseller book wagon. I joined a neighborhood book club a year and a half ago. And that's a story for another post. However, one of the books picked OVER A YEAR AGO, was "Love in the Time of Cholera". At the point when this book was picked........ I was already pretty burned on the "Tragedy Novels" the group always seemed to pick.

But I have this thing with books.

If I start it, I finish it.

NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES. This book set a record. I'm certain 14 months is the longest I've ever taken to read a book. Now granted, I don't just read one book at a time. I have one in the car, one upstairs, one downstairs, and I grab whichever book I'm near.

So ANYWAY..........can I say this out loud???? I HATED THIS BOOK!!!

I don't care if it won the Nobel Prize for literature. I hated it. Now taking into consideration the fact that it was written in Spanish, and then translated into English, that still doesn't make up for the plot.

Boy meets girl, boy falls for girl. Girl's father makes girl marry someone else. Boy is heartbroken. Boy decides to wait for girl's husband to die so he can get her for himself. etc., etc.

Now by "wait for girl" we mean boy sleeps with any and everyone he can. I mean HUNDREDS of women. And he writes it all down in a diary.

It's a love story.

Really. This is great literature? What did I miss?

So I watched the movie.

It didn't help.

Guess I had bad lit teachers. If someone out there can explain why this book won a Nobel Prize, I'm dying to know.

All I can say is, "Wow, I'm glad that's over".

Comments

Kris said…
I always found Marquez unreadable, personally. Perhaps my tastes are a bit plebeian, but this book (and the Hundred Years of Solitude one) I just didn't find particularly stimulating.
The Chick Voice said…
Thank God someone agrees, Dazzle. And you're a teacher! Sometimes I read these books a wonder if my 1970's education was a real bust. Or maybe...........I just have better taste???

Popular Posts