Blue Like Jazz


It's embarrassing how late I am to this party. How rude to even show face at this point but here we go.
Frankly, I primarily read novels or political non-fiction. But when I heard that Steve Taylor was doing a film based on this book, I ran out and bought it.
(Insert Steve Taylor RANT here).
Steve Taylor is one of the best people I've ever known. He grew up in the metro Denver area. He started his musical career here. Hate to be a name dropper but I did know a couple of his band members and because he grew up here, I ended up getting to know him a little. In my radio days he was more than kind to me and went above and beyond for a little radio show I did. I think he's one of the most creatively talented people that has ever darkened the door of the Christian music industry, and yes, I've told him so. If you're reading this and don't know who he is, send me an email and I'll send you links like crazy. Click here for Steve Taylor.
(Back to book review)
Going into this read with the "Steve Taylor Halo Effect" set my expectations high. In the beginning, my initial reaction was "yeah, whatever, what's the point, come on, get to the point!"
That only lasted for the first few chapters. Ohhhh, I get it, it's The Set Up. Now we have a feel for who this guy is. Younger than me. But his experiences are starting to ring true. It's growing on me. He's giving a voice to things I've thought yet not expressed.
When I got to chapter 11, "Confession", I nearly fell on the floor. Don't want to spoil it, but if you should happen to take my advise and get this book, if you grew up in the church, or go to a church, or used to go to a church, and read what these college students did....................well, I was blown away.
If you are not a believer in Jesus Christ, or if you are but have had a mostly positive experience in your faith, you may not relate to this book. But for me, and I'm sure many like me, this book will strike a chord.
I read the last few chapters at a local sandwich shop where I go and hide to read. I'm sure a few patrons there wondered what was up with the lady in the corner booth, who couldn't quit crying.
Dear Steve Taylor, what are you going to do with this book..................hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Comments

Popular Posts