Dancing Is In My Genes

The fact that dancing is in my genes does not mean I'm a good dancer. Yes, I know many of the ballroom and latin steps, as in: ..... one, two, cha cha cha! With the right song, I'm decent at the waltz. So why is dancing in my genes? My parents were Dance Instructors when they met. There was a dance studio in downtown Denver (not Arthur Murray, although I think Mom also worked at A.M.) They met there in the late 50's, and the rest is history. I guess they were never partners for shows, because Dad was 6'2" and Mom is five feet tall. (Okay, she insists she's five feet.......... but there's no way. She's 4'10" if she's lucky.)

As a young kid I remember Mom teaching me (and the little bro) all the ballroom and latin steps on our olive green vinyl kitchen floor. Before I was born, they had started going to a church that frowned on the "evils of dancing", but I think Mom and Dad were a little conflicted about that theology. The public dancing may have fallen by the wayside for a number of years, but we still watched everything that ever came on TV involving dancing. Up to and including Michael Jackson videos. I still adore all Hollywood musicals that have dancing, even if they are cheesy. And yes, we all have tickets to see "A Chorus Line" when it comes to town in May. In the early 90's I went through a country western phase and learned how to do all those steps to a country beat. I love dancing, and wish I was light on my feet. I also wish there were more occasions that called for dancing, especially all that floaty ballroom stuff.

Meanwhile, back at the Ranch, I watch Dancing with the Stars. Religiously. Watched all the seasons, and seldom make it through a show without at least one phone call to the "folks" to hear what they think. My Dad gets quite annoyed when couples who are more skilled get eliminated before more popular, but less talented couples.

I'm shocked and amazed that the series has been as popular for ABC as it has been. I thought it would be a one season wonder. Several seasons later , and it's one of the most popular things ABC has going. I know why I like it. I'm just not sure why so many other people do. And most amazing of all, I'm stunned The Husband likes it. Sure, at first, I thought it was about the creative "costuming" of the women. I mean, even I like the women's costumes. But I really think The Husband likes the DANCING. So we watch each week, and root for the great dancers, and the ones who aren't so great........ but try so hard, and want it so bad.

Tonight they eliminated Marlee Matlin, and it was sad to see her go. Amazing what she's been able to do. For those of you who watch, think how much better she's been than SO MANY who could hear the music.

Now you know the truth. I'm proud to proclaim. I love Dancing With The Stars.

Comments

Popular Posts