Bird Rescue

Wednesday when I got home from work, I did the normal routine, got Bessy out of her basement apartment (where she now has TV)and then went around opening up all the first floor windows to get some air moving. I have an aversion to air conditioning............but it's not really about being cool.......its the sound the a/c units make. Weird, I know but I have this issue with sounds. Anyway, I digress. I sat on the couch to watch some news and eat some leftovers. My Tiny Garden has become somewhat of a bird sanctuary, with all the necessary things to draw them in.....water, seed and plants they like. I kept hearing what I knew to be a robin raising more of a ruckus than usual.  So I went out to investigate.  There was in fact, a robin on the fence outside one of my windows who was hopping around, seeming to be quite agitated.  But I kept hearing a second bird I couldn't see.  I thought maybe it was under a honeysuckle bush by the window, so I dug around, to no avail, then realized..............a baby bird was down in the window well.

Now the window wells are a death trap for all manner of creatures, they fall in, and if we don't notice right away..............well, lets not think about that.  At least one baby bunny has been saved this year, from a slow death, because the husband saw it soon enough to save it............back to a life of destroying our grass.............

I digress again.  So down the basement I went, with my gardening gloves, and because I'm a good blogger, my camera.  Here's what I saw................


Baby robin was squawking up a storm while perched on the bottom ladder rung.  I climbed in the well and was able to lift it up to get back out on solid ground.  By the time I got back upstairs and back outside, Bessy was chasing the baby bird across the yard, mom bouncing down the fence, before the baby got through the fence to the neighbor's back yard.  Looks like the little one was not quite ready to fly, but nearly so.................glad there's not a lot of cats in the neighborhood.

Glad this one ended well (I think), time to get that chicken wire on the window wells.  The grates let too many things in..............

Comments

Kris said…
Such a cute baby! I'm glad you're my soul-sistah in these matters. I am a sucker for baby animals. Well, all baby animals except skwerls. I have grown a heart of stone when it comes to them... they're in the same category as those gigantic fist-sized roaches that my cat likes to attack and kill in the mudroom.

Popular Posts