There's Cold.......and Then There's Cold

I'm fairly certain that back when I was a kid.................(did I really say that?).........they never closed the schools and gave us a snow day............because it was cold.

Yes we have snow.

Yes, it's cold.................

But all the schools around the area are closed tomorrow..............not for the 3 or so inches we have. 

But because it's cold.

I have some very vague memories of Mom bundling us up in layers of clothes, gloves and hats...............and waiting till the last minute before we set off for the bus stop.  But off to that bus stop we went.

And I don't remember any kids in our neighborhood loosing fingers or toes to frostbite.

Alas these memories must be part of the lore of walking to school, uphill, both ways..................etc.  etc.

Have we grown wimpy?

Maybe.

Meanwhile.............I just heard the Douglas County snowplows go past my house...........they plow the residential  streets down here in the land of high property taxes.

We're getting the real winter treatment around here.


Comments

Popular Posts